The King Law Firm, PLLC
Consistently Exceeding Your Expectations In Gulfport

Hit by a distracted driver? This is what you should do first

Your commute to work yesterday took a turn for the worst when you were rear-ended by a distracted driver. This type of accident is quickly becoming one of the most common kinds of car wrecks. People are multitasking while behind the wheel. They are checking their emails, texting, and making calls while they drive.

Due to another motorist texting while he was making his own commute to work, you know have some very expensive medical bills and a totaled sedan. You should not have to pay for expenses caused by another person’s negligent driving. A Gulfport area personal injury attorney can help you file a claim for compensation. There are also some things you can do immediately after a car accident that will help you achieve a good outcome.

Just after the accident

After a car accident, it is important to remain calm. Do not hesitate to seek medical attention if you are injured. Even if the injuries don’t seem serious at first, it is best to see your doctor for a complete physical evaluation. If your car is still in the road, move it as far out of the as possible to avoid becoming involved in another accident.

Get information

Get the other driver’s information, including phone number, address, license plate number and even the vehicle identification number. While the other driver is at fault, he may not contact his insurance to report the accident. Also, take pictures of your car and the other vehicle. Be sure to get contact information and statements from any witnesses as well.

File a report

In many cases, insurance companies will require a police report in order to process a claim. Even if the situation does not seem severe, call the police so that there is an official report on record. While it may be admissible if your claim goes to court, police reports usually provide leverage in reaching a settlement with the insurance company.

Call your insurance company

Once you are calm and have had a chance to write down the events of the accident, call your insurance company. Even if you expect the other driver’s insurance to cover the damage in full, you still need to report the wreck to your insurance provider.

You may need to sue

Sometimes the insurance of the driver at fault for a wreck will deny a claim. If this happens, you may need to file a lawsuit in order to recover the cost of your medical expenses and the damage to your vehicle.

If you have been the victim of a distracted driver, it is important to understand your rights and options.


FindLaw Network