The King Law Firm, PLLC
Consistently Exceeding Your Expectations In Gulfport

What you should know about workers’ comp

Imagine working on a construction site that is constantly full of hazards. You have to watch for randomly falling objects, uncovered holes, loose electrical wires and various other dangers. Your chances of getting injured at work seem pretty high. What happens if you do suffer and injury? Will the construction company pay for your medical expenses and cover your lost wages?

In Mississippi, employers that have more than five employees have to provide workers’ compensation. This means that if you get hurt at work or are exposed to hazardous materials that cause you to become ill, your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance has to cover your expenses. If you have suffered a work-related injury or illness, a Gulfport area attorney can help file a workers’ compensation claim or appeal a denial so that you can recover without worrying about medical bills and lost wages. Read further to find out more about Mississippi’s workers’ compensation laws.

Time limits

After a workplace injury, you have 30 days to inform your boss and two years to file a claim. In cases of a work-related illness due to exposure to dangerous materials, you have two years from the time you become aware of the illness to file a claim.


Some of the benefits you might receive from a workers’ compensation claim include medical treatment and disability. The amount of disability you receive will depend on whether your injuries cause a temporary or permanent disability and if the disability is total or partial.

The amount of your benefits and the length of time you receive them are directly related to the severity of the injury. In most cases, lost wages are compensated at a rate of two-thirds of your average weekly pay.

Your employer’s responsibilities

After you report your injury to your boss, he has to file with the state Workers’ Compensation Commission within 10 days after you have missed your first five days of work.


Most employees in Mississippi are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. However, domestic workers, such as housekeepers, and independent contractors are usually exempt from coverage.

After an injury

After suffering an injury, the first thing you should do is to see a medical professional. Let your doctor know that you received the injury while preforming work-related duties. Once you have seen the doctor, inform your supervisor of the incident. Follow the time limits discussed above. If you wait too long to notify your employer or to file the claim, you may not be able to receive any compensation for your injuries.

Appealing a denial

If the insurance company denies your claim, try to solve the problem by speaking with your employer and the insurer. If that does not work, move on to the Mississippi Workers’ Compensation Commission. If the Commission denies your claim as well, you might be able to file a claim in your county court.

If you have suffered a job-related injury, it is important to take steps as soon as possible to file a workers’ compensation claim.

Source: Nov. 30, -0001


FindLaw Network