The King Law Firm, PLLC
Consistently Exceeding Your Expectations In Gulfport

What can I do after a hit and run accident?

Unfortunately, hit and run accidents are common in Mississippi. It is hard enough to handle an auto accident when everyone stays, but that can be more difficult when the other driver leaves the scene of the crash. You do have rights if a driver hits you and then runs. 

The Mississippi Bar details the legal responsibilities of drivers in auto accidents. The first thing you should do is contact emergency services and the police. Any injuries you may have sustained need medical attention right away. 

When the driver runs, there is no way to obtain their insurance information or other personally identifying information. You can describe the vehicle and hopefully obtain a license plate number. Look for any witnesses if you are able to gather more information regarding the accident. If you have a camera or smartphone, take a picture of your vehicle and theirs, if possible. 

The police can use this information in their case. While not required for minor accidents, a police report may still come in handy should you decide to obtain a personal injury attorney. Allow the police to determine fault rather than offering blame even if the driver failed to stop. 

Within 10 days of the accident, the police must have a written report for over $250 in property damage or any bodily injury. Having the police come to the scene ensures you meet that requirement. 

Filing as much information as possible to the police can help you file a lawsuit should you choose to do so. This information is intended only to educate and should not be interpreted as legal advice. 


FindLaw Network